onsdag den 22. oktober 2014

My naïve, rosy world of games

Doing research for a paper I stumbled across a book, but not just any book. It was a game design book that focused on monetizing strategies in social and mobile games. I was disgusted. Disgusted that it had come to there being an actual book that taught game designers and developers how they could make the most money off their players and users for the least amount of work done. This is not what games is about, at least not in my world. Games is about entertainment. It is about trying to give others the amazing feeling you get when you play a game that suits you perfectly; the characters, the visual and auditive art, the story, the gameplay, the mechanics. It all comes together in such perfect harmony, that you become completely immersed and suddenly an entire day has gone by, you missed out on the real world, but in your mind the world missed out. I'd like to believe that the above is true for all who have an extra special affinity for games, especially game designers. Because I think all game designers are gamers by heart. I'd like to think that no game designer began doing what they do with the thought of 'I'm gonna make me some money and tons of it'.
   But then I took off my rose-tinted glasses and returned to the real world where I actually live. Making games is a business and is often being reported as one of the largest, if not the largest, industries in the world, so clearly there is money being made. My thought is simply: where do we draw the line? At what point does it become alright for developers to think 'We need to make money. Let's make a game that shrouds the robbery that it is enough for our players to not notice' rather than 'We need to make a game. Let's create an experience that is so good that people will pay to try it'? Money is probably the driving factor for creating a majority of games though, even though I'm not fond of believing that. I'm probably too romantic and do what I do because I actually want to bring people the joy of playing games, just as I had when I was growing up: playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for days with my friends huddled around an old pc(a game that I still play today. My god that is an awesome game), playing the first installment of Diablo on LAN with my brother, Magic: the Gathering, Pokémon, arcademachines when I was on holiday with my family, the list never ends. As you can see I'm too romantic about it and the tint in my glasses are rosier than most. That said I still think the book that I found crossed an ethical line somewhere, a line where the money becomes such a high priority that people become blinded and missing the point that they could actually 'simply' apply themselves and create something that players are willing to pay money for.


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar